POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Your move! : Re: Your move! Server Time
16 Aug 2024 08:15:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Your move!
From: Steven Pigeon
Date: 1 Mar 2002 20:13:25
Message: <3C802788.FA385194@iro.umontreal.ca>
Yadgar wrote:

> Shay schrieb:
>
> > I hate chess, but your pieces are very interesting. The Rook and Knight
> > forms I recognized by intuition, but I had to look at the board to identify
> > the other pieces. The whole thing looks very unstable, though.
> >

> Obviously, Silver has castled... and the slightly smaller cone with the rounded
> bottom and the small knob on top is the bishop... but if you compare the silver
> and copper bishop, you'll find that both players use slightly different sets of
> chessmen.

Nope. Exact same lathe object.

> Is it just me or are the rooks' edges in fact slightly rounded?

It's a superellipsoid. Something like < 0.05,0.05 > or <0.1,0.1>

> The textures are nice - but I think the shapes of the chessmen are still
> somewhat crude...

That's wanted. They are all very simple objects except for the
knights, which are macro+mesh objects. I didn't feel like actually
doing the modelling for a staunton chess set. I would have to use
a 3d scanner of some sort to produce realistic meshes. I have a
couple of nice sets (see attachment), and it's too much work of
an idle evening :-).

> the carpet's finish looks terrifyingly realistic - how did
> you do it?

Eh eh eh. Easy. An actual picture of a piece of fabric + fuzzy
normals on a disc object.

> See you in Khyberspace - http://www.geocities.com/electricafghan/index-e.html
> Afghanistan Chronicle: http://www.ndh.net/home/bleimann/index-e.htm
>
> Yadgar

Best,

    S.

Steven Pigeon                     Ph. D. candidate
University of Montreal.
pig### [at] iroumontrealca           Topic: data compression
         http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~pigeon

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'image05.jpg' (68 KB)