POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : first tests with 4th order RK (clothing) : Re: first tests with 4th order RK (clothing) Server Time
19 Jul 2024 21:22:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: first tests with 4th order RK (clothing)
From: Mark James Lewin
Date: 26 Feb 2002 19:35:56
Message: <3C7C293E.B76C729B@yahoo.com.au>
Apache wrote:

> The first solution I can think of is decreasing the step
> size and increasing the stiffness of the springs.

That came to my mind too. I'm sure you also know how much that will slow the
simulation down by too :-)

> As you can see the sheet of the new animation (cloth07test4, the one
> attached to this message) needs more time to settle down and the sheet is
> more flexible. That's caused by the larger time step.

Does this cloth have the same number (and strength) springs too? I would not have
expected this large a change in flexibility by changing the time step (and
consequently the number of steps) alone.

> Maybe using 5th or 6th
> order Runge-Kutta would even improve the thing more? So my next question
> would be: I would like to know HOW them people (mister Runge and mister
> Kutta?) got to that Runge-Kutta algorithm.

I confess to know little of these methods. These links explain 2nd and 4th order
RK. They may be of some use.

http://nacphy.physics.orst.edu/ComPhys/DIFFEQ/mydif2/node5.html
http://nacphy.physics.orst.edu/ComPhys/DIFFEQ/mydif2/node6.html

Math has never been a strong point for me.

--
prism{0,.1,30#local I=1;#while(I<30)#local B=asc(substr(// Mark James Lewin
"#K?U_u`V[RG>3<9DGPL.0EObkcPF'",I,1))-33;<div(B,10)-4mod(B,10)+5*div(I,21)-