POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : atmospheric perspective : Re: atmospheric perspective Server Time
16 Aug 2024 10:26:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: atmospheric perspective
From: Abe
Date: 22 Feb 2002 18:25:26
Message: <3C76D347.E60A5B1E@taconic.net>
> First of all: What exactly did you do? Did you use fog, or
> media to create that atmosphere effect?

My methods are patented and top secret. But if you promise not to
tell...
The atmosphere is an additive combination of a blue scattering media and
a blueish absorption media. The goal was to produce a blue-ing of the
shadow elements in the scene and a reddening of the light elements as a
function of distance. Ultimately the red and blue would merge in a
neutral gray.

> If you'll take a look into my gallery, you'll find an image in the
> widescreen section "featuring" a silver woman statuette with
> a red heart in her hand.
>
> If you look closely at the horizon, the clouds do "haze away".
>
> I did it using several ground-fogs with different fog_alt
> settings. The color was adjusted to fit the actual color of the
> horizon, and using some transmit (or filter, depends) helps
> a lot to take care of the radioactive horizon. When using several
> ground-fogs and high transmit values, you can get certain colors,
> objects fading into that color when very distant, and eliminate
> the glowing horizon to some degree.

I appreciate the manner of control you exhibit in that scene, but
I couldn't get the particular effect of coloration on light and dark
areas I was after with fog.

Abe