POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : atmospheric perspective : Re: atmospheric perspective Server Time
16 Aug 2024 10:21:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: atmospheric perspective
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 22 Feb 2002 17:11:24
Message: <3C76C213.43E10B5D@gmx.de>
> Here's the result of some experimenting with atmospheric perspective in
> POV. I've found this phenomenon to be one of the key elements in
> "natural" or "out door" CG scenes which are particularly striking.
> Terragen does a particularly good job of it.
>
> However,rendering atmospheric perspective with any degree of control in
> POV, has always been a challange to me beyond the basic ground fog(with
> its characteristic bright horizon) or blue scattering media.
>
> Anyone have any particular solutions they'd like to share?

First of all: What exactly did you do? Did you use fog, or
media to create that atmosphere effect?

If you'll take a look into my gallery, you'll find an image in the
widescreen section "featuring" a silver woman statuette with
a red heart in her hand.

If you look closely at the horizon, the clouds do "haze away".

I did it using several ground-fogs with different fog_alt
settings. The color was adjusted to fit the actual color of the
horizon, and using some transmit (or filter, depends) helps
a lot to take care of the radioactive horizon. When using several
ground-fogs and high transmit values, you can get certain colors,
objects fading into that color when very distant, and eliminate
the glowing horizon to some degree.

--
Tim Nikias