POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Local coordinates? : Re: Local coordinates? Server Time
3 Jul 2024 02:58:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Local coordinates?
From: Timothy R  Cook
Date: 22 Feb 2002 03:50:04
Message: <3C76063C.6898CEFE@scifi-fantasy.com>
Lutz Kretzschmar wrote:
> Ahhm, objects always rotate about their local axis.... is there
> something I'm misunderstanding here?

Perhaps...problem is this: if you change the local coordinate
rotation of an object, then click/drag in a view to later rotate
it, it rotates around that view's axis, not the object's.  Plus
I'm having a hard time figuring out how to manipulate a triangular
slice of a sphere ...here, I'll post the scene in moray.binaries.
I'm trying to make an iris that I can easily open/close by only
changing one rotation value per piece.  All well and good with
slice occupying the 12-to-1-o'clock position, but if I try to
copy that and rotate it around the world X axis, it screws up
the rotating about its own X axis...for instance, in my scene
file:
CSG Iris01 works the way I want.
CSG Iris02 is a copy of Iris01 without any rotations, local or
    otherwise.  Observe how it rotates when you click/drag.
CSG Iris03 is a copy of Iris01 positioned at one of the reference
    dots (bright green), and rotated in an amount that SHOULD
    make its edge match that of Iris01.  It doesn't.  That and
    watch the values in the rotate input boxes when you click/
    drag it to rotate it.  Strange.

--
Tim Cook
http://empyrean.scifi-fantasy.com