POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : How do you make a scene? : Re: How do you make a scene? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 02:18:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How do you make a scene?
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 30 Jan 2002 11:49:33
Message: <3C58241C.52F95E4C@gmx.de>
Rik A wrote:

> Hello! (my first ever post to this newsgroup!)

Welcome.

> Do you list the objects required for your scene, and then work on
> constructing each object seperately?
> Do you use a modeller for individual objects in your scene?
> Do you use a modeller for the whole scene composition?
> (If you do use a modeller - which one?)
>
> I know that a lot of people just hand-code everything - if you are one of
> these people, how do you go about the whole scene-creation process.

This usually very much depends on the scene, for example it's important
whether you have a real world object you try to recreate of you design you
scene from imagination.

Most experienced Povers probably have a quite intuitive method of planning
a scene, but of course it's important to do some planning, to divide the
project into single tasks.

Working on different parts individually and putting them together is
usually not a great problem, Povray offers quite a lot of possibilities
for this.

What can be really difficult is planning how much time and computer
resources things take and knowing if a certain technique is suited for
creating a desired effect.  I think everyone has experienced this problem
in form of unfinished projects or scenes that turned out totally different
than they were planned in the first place.

And to give some real world examples, several "making of's" can be found
on Gilles Tran's website:

http://www.oyonale.com/ressources/english/index.htm

and some also on my own ;-)

http://www.schunter.etc.tu-bs.de/~chris/raytracing.html