POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : How do you make a scene? : Re: How do you make a scene? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 02:18:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How do you make a scene?
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 30 Jan 2002 08:08:48
Message: <3C57F019.1010208@videotron.ca>
Rik A wrote:

> Hello! (my first ever post to this newsgroup!)
>
> Do you list the objects required for your scene, and then work on
> constructing each object seperately?

Roughly, yes.  Some items just seem to add themselves at one point or
another though.

> Do you use a modeller for individual objects in your scene?

Nope.  Although, my stuff is usually mostly CSG, so it's manageable by
trig-and-error;  I don't expect I'd be handcoding bezier patches though.

> Do you use a modeller for the whole scene composition?

Nope.

> (If you do use a modeller - which one?)
>
> I know that a lot of people just hand-code everything - if you are one of
> these people, how do you go about the whole scene-creation process.

I'll put generic placeholders (cubes, cylinders, spheres) and then work
on the details of each individual element.  I usually put all my object
in an .inc file so if my spaceship object goes from a simple gray box to
a 5000 part CSG union, the main scenefile will not notice any difference.

If your scene gets complicated, this approach is better when it comes to
comenting out parts of the scene, putting "/*" and "*/" around a single
"object{ BigAlienMotherShip }" line is a lot easier to read, IMHO, than
having five pages of green text scroll by.

/*   videotron.ca  */}camera{location<6,1.25,-6>look_at a orthographic}