POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Oranges, 2nd State (94 K ) : Re: Oranges, 2nd State (94 K ) Server Time
16 Aug 2024 20:31:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Oranges, 2nd State (94 K )
From: Jim Charter
Date: 29 Jan 2002 16:20:04
Message: <3C57147D.D2708796@aol.com>
I have, off and on, played with still life scenes where the vertical of the
backdrop is painted in some intense texture which challenges the sense of space,
but adds an overall visual "punch" to the image.  The tradeoff is between a nice
illusion of space and the visual scintillation of the background texture/pattern
which is alligned with the picture plane and can sometimes ( especially in my
paintings ) work as a tromp l'oeil surface texture.  This harkens back to
Matisse, as I am sure you know.
Your idea of darkening the backdrop, overall, is worth a try.  The moire effect
is a tradeoff between realistic scale of the rattan, and the interference
patterns caused when the scale of the pattern approaches the scale of the
resolution.  Maybe I will try a different pattern.