POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : WIP - IRTC-Entry - Worldbowl : Re: WIP - IRTC-Entry - Worldbowl Server Time
16 Aug 2024 14:23:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: WIP - IRTC-Entry - Worldbowl
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 25 Jan 2002 08:35:40
Message: <3C515F0C.70C4ADC@gmx.de>
> This may sound rather neanderthalic, but is there a function/parameter that
> limits the "water" so that it pushes right up against the sphere but not
> through it?  Basically, what I'm asking is how you fill an object with a flat
> liquid.  (Think of a wine glass with wine in it)...

It's rather simple, but by no means neanderthalic (they're extinct, you know,
and POV isn't THAT old).
The water is just a little tiny bit smaller than the glassbowl sphere, thus we
have no coincident surfaces...
But do note that the ocean is made of two parts: the "volume" and the "surface".
If I'd create only one object and have both get reflecting-finishes, the sides
of the ocean would reflect too, which I didn't want. Also, normals are
only applied to the surface (a disc, by the way), so that where ocean and
glassbowl
touch, no waves are rippling...

--
Tim Nikias