POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : FERN update: first attempt of a complete plant : Re: FERN update: first attempt of a complete plant Server Time
16 Aug 2024 20:29:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: FERN update: first attempt of a complete plant
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 23 Jan 2002 09:13:23
Message: <3C4EC4FE.36348B2@gmx.de>
Juergen Scharfy wrote:

> [...]
> But what is the difference? If I make single objects, POV builds a bounding
> box around it at doesn't care about the object if the ray doesn't hit it.
> This check is done on a pretty high level. Any sub-processing is skipped for
> this object.
> If it is a single mesh with a lot of holes in it (between the leaves) it
> hits the bounding box all the time and has to analyse the mesh-triangles
> before it decides to do nothing. Is that really faster?

It is much faster unless you build a bounding box hierarchy yourself.  If
not, Povray always has to test against all the bounding boxes of several
thousand shapes which can be quite slow.  For a mesh it generates a very
efficient bounding structure (octree).  Apart from this the latter has
serious advantages if you want to render more than one fern

Transforming the vertices is not that much of a problem with
'vtransform()' but this is only available in megapov/Povray 3.5.

> That would be cool of course. I have first to get used to the file routine
> stuff (if any) in POV 3.1g. AFAIK there is a lot of support for this in 3.5
> beta but I don't want to download a new beta (which costs me almost an hour)
> every 2 or 3 weeks.

There is not much in Povray 3.5 to simplify this apart from some macros
like 'VStr()'.  You can find a good example how to do file writing in the
maketree include file.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>