POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Narnia V2 [71kb] : Re: Narnia V2 [71kb] Server Time
16 Aug 2024 20:24:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Narnia V2 [71kb]
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 23 Jan 2002 04:31:39
Message: <3C4E82F5.7F67B768@gmx.de>
Tom Melly wrote:

> WIP 4 IRTC
>
> Now with traced trees - 20,000 of them. Took me a while to find a way of making
> trees that didn't eat up memory. Managed it by combining meshes and cylinders
> and adapting quality depending on distance.

Although neither the mountains nor the trees are extremely realistic it
looks somehow beautiful, concerning the trees, if you make only about 5-10
different ones each as one mesh and place multiple instances this will
save a lot of memory, even if you don't reduce detail for the more distant
ones.  In addition grouping the trees into several unions would can also
speed up the render a lot.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>