POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : FERN update: first attempt of a complete plant : Re: FERN update: first attempt of a complete plant Server Time
16 Aug 2024 14:21:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: FERN update: first attempt of a complete plant
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 23 Jan 2002 04:25:09
Message: <3C4E816B.8DF3988@gmx.de>

> Hi there,
>
> after adding some automatic adaption of the level of detail my old PC was
> able to render a complete fern. It looks quite confused since it is built
> randomly.

It looks good, but some environment would much improve it, maybe place it
in some pot on a table or something similar.

> It consists of 22 wings with varying number of leaves. In total there were
> 8154 objects (there were more than 106000 in the full-detail version!).
> Total computation time was 50 minutes and 57 seconds. Both, rendering and
> parsing took almost exactly the half of this: 25min 36/21 sec. My PC is a
> very old P200.
>
> [...]

Again, if you make the whole fern one mesh (or at least each wing) this
would seriously speed up the render.  BTW as usual with such a geometry
generating function it would probably be useful to add file writing
routines that you can load the fern from file if you want to render it a
second time.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>