POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : How to avoid moiré effects? : How to avoid moiré effects? Server Time
16 Aug 2024 14:21:36 EDT (-0400)
  How to avoid moiré effects?
From: Yadgar
Date: 20 Jan 2002 16:48:56
Message: <3C4B4A8A.76D0344C@ndh.net>
Hi Tracers!

Today, I fiddled around with exponential scaling of simple pigment
pattern, for example checker.
I made a checker pattern with rgb <1, 0, 0> and rgb <0, 0.5, 1> and made
an animation, during which it is scaled exponentially down to 1/10^11. I
hoped, that sooner or later, the two colors would blend into a
homogenous average color, such as rgb <0.5, 0.25, 0.5>. But instead, I
got strange interference patterns, sometimes single frames with
stretched patterns at much too large scale showed up.

Then I tried AA, non-recursive, first at 0.3, than at 0 threshold - the
whole thing became fuzzier, but there are still those strange dropout
frames. Now I do it at threshold 0, still method 1, but with depth 9 -
calculation takes ages, and it's simply not proceeded far enough yet to
estimate the results. Is there any way to make any pigment pattern at
very small scales blend into one single color?

See you in Khyberspace -
http://www.geocities.com/electricafghan/index-e.html
Afghanistan Chronicle: http://www.ndh.net/home/bleimann/index-e.htm

Yadgar