POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Orthographic support broken : Re: Orthographic support broken Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:24:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Orthographic support broken
From: Fabien Mosen
Date: 20 Jan 2002 12:28:37
Message: <3C4AFDBA.9070805@skynet.be>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:

> difficult task without breaking anything.  I still hope to come up with a
> complete solution for beta 11, which will basically allow one order to fit
> all needs, which should be possible.

Thanks for the reply.  This leaves me with the following thought :
why should the user use a given order ?  Can't POV-Ray parse all
the options and rearrange them internally to the right order for the
camera ray transforms ?*  I mean, there is no ambiguity between this :

  camera {
     look_at ..
     right ..
     ultra_wide_angle
     angle ..
     up ..
     location ..
   }

and this :

  camera {
     angle ..
     up ..
     right ..
     location ..
     look_at ..
     ultra_wide_angle
   }

This would avoid 'stupid' mistakes that happened when you forgot to

breaking thousands of existing scenes.  This would avoid the
memorisation of the order.

About angle/direction : only allow a single of these at the time.
If both are present, it's an error.

About orthographic : either split it into 2 perspective modes
("orthograpic" and "orthographic_auto"), or add an optional
keyword to activate the automatic behaviour.

Just my 2 Eurocents.

Fabien.

(* : I don't know the internals of the parser, and thus don't know
  if it's easy or not).