POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.scene-files : Platonic solids : Re: Platonic solids Server Time
2 Sep 2024 10:13:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Platonic solids
From: Deaken
Date: 14 Jan 2002 09:53:42
Message: <3C42F0E3.7FAF75DE@sw-tech.com>
Herman Serras wrote:

> Hello,

Hi there.

> This is very well done.

Thank you.

> I appreciate that you are putting the sources
> available.

Well, there is no other choice, as far as I'm concerned.  I learn from
the group, so I give back to the group, in my inexperienced (and
currently mostly useless) manner.  I hope to change that over time and
actually present something useful.

> The macros to define a square and a pentagon as a mesh of triangles are
> a very good idea!

It struck me as the easiest and most uniform way to do it.  It could
have been easier if I had used box{} for the cube, but then it would not
have been constructed similar to the other polyhedra.

> I also have some include files concerning polyhedra and using "polygon"
> often gives problems concerning the planarity. I think it's better to
> use triangles.
> I see you're inscribing the platonic solids in a sphere. That's the most
> symetrical way to do it but startin from a cube is mathematically more
> easy.
> You can find some examples on my website.

Wow.

"Easy", you say?  You are far beyond me in math, I'm afraid.

I did, however, find a link to already-provided polyhedral include files
(on mac.povray.org) from your site.  I KNEW I was reinventing the
wheel.  :/

Interesting that Mr. Towle seems (I have not been able to examine the
include files yet; I still need something to unpack .SIT and .HQX files)
to have provided the "pipes-and-balls" structures, too.  There is
nothing new under the sun.

It also occurs to me that I should have used a unit cube.  I would not
have found the bug in the icosa- and dodecahedra.  Heh.

> Friendly greetings.

Back at you.  :)

Deaken