POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : ATT: POV team and everyone - POV4 design proposal : Re: ATT: POV team and everyone - POV4 design proposal Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:18:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ATT: POV team and everyone - POV4 design proposal
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 13 Jan 2002 08:03:34
Message: <3C418596.A1D2F371@gmx.de>
"Rick [Kitty5]" wrote:

> I think a sphere was provided as an example, replace sphere above with 20mb
> mesh and it suddenly doesn't sound such a bad idea, however impractical it
> may be

A mesh can already be 'referenced', the real use of such a possibility
would be complex CSG, but it would depend on the situation whether the
advantage in memory requirements would balance the additional calculations
required.

BTW, this would be a good starting point for Eugene: program an
instancing/reference patch, do it nicely (i.e. well documented and well
tested) and i'm sure it will become part of the next megapov release.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>