POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : ATT: POV team and everyone - POV4 design proposal : Re: ATT: POV team and everyone - POV4 design proposal Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:29:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ATT: POV team and everyone - POV4 design proposal
From: Eugene Arenhaus
Date: 13 Jan 2002 05:33:49
Message: <3C416077.54921188@avalon-net.co.il>
> > Trace's input will be a single ray.
> > Trace's output will be a single ray.
> > In fact, it will be one and the same ray object.

> Umm... I seem to remember a few features that make this pointless. For instance,
unless I am mistaken,
> a partially transparent object splits an existing rays in two, passing one through
the object and bouncing
> the other off it. How the $%# do you do that with a trace routine which only returns
one ray?

How? Easy. You write a Trace routine for transparency shader that will
create two more ray objects (passing and bouncing), cast them (by
calling Scene's Trace routine), combine the result in its single ray and
return that.

Or, in short: You can cast a zillion rays if you want simply by
recursively calling Trace.

>I suggest
> you first learn 'why' things work the way they do before making suggestions about
how to 'fix' them. :p

Please do try not rush into replying before thinking. :P