POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : ATT: POV team and everyone - POV4 design proposal : Re: ATT: POV team and everyone - POV4 design proposal Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:32:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ATT: POV team and everyone - POV4 design proposal
From: Eugene Arenhaus
Date: 13 Jan 2002 05:02:00
Message: <3C415901.CFCC9CCD@avalon-net.co.il>
> > 1.    Unified, interchangeable scene object model
> Unified ? Is 3ds format somehow unified? If you want POV reader just write it.

Sorry, this was about scene object model: that is, the way objects that
compose the scene are represented in script and internally. It has
absolutely nothing to do with file formats like 3DS.

> > 3.    Instancing support
> ?
> Are you talking render farms ? It was discussed many times.

No, I am talking about reusing object descriptions internally: like
rendering 10000 copies of a sphere with only one actual sphere object
kept in RAM.

>What you suggest is very radicolous change of SDL and imo it is different
> language.

Cute blend of "radical" or "ridiculous" there. ;)

No, it's neither. It can be made, say, 98% compatible with current scene
syntax with no big difficulty. It's not really that different, merely a
small extension of what we have now.