POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : ATT: POV team and everyone - POV4 design proposal : Re: ATT: POV team and everyone - POV4 design proposal - Follow-up Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:15:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ATT: POV team and everyone - POV4 design proposal - Follow-up
From: Eugene Arenhaus
Date: 13 Jan 2002 04:56:56
Message: <3C4157D0.2F4BB129@avalon-net.co.il>
Well, hello again, and thank you for taking interest -

 I feel I need to answer a few reoccurring questions and gripes. :)

 First: Again, I did not mean to bash POV. I merely wanted to provide
food for thought, not for target practice. :) Please try to not feel as
if I am assaulting your favorite program (language, feature, etc.) -
that was never my meaning.

 Second: Yes, you are right, I am most likely not up to date with the
cutting edge development done on POV 3.5, and for that I apologize. I am
much more experienced with software design in general than with this
particular program... My chief experience was with POV 3.1. Thank you
for your comments. Still, my goal was to think of a broad picture, not
to peck on particular features or tricks.

 Third. No, it is not going to be a "completely different" language. In
fact, it can be made to reuse most scene files with at worst some minor
tweaking, if that goal is set. (With POV team saying themselves they
aren't going to make POV4 100% compatible with version 3 - thou who hast
not sinned... :) )

 And last... the goal of the post was, again, to provide a broader
picture as food for thought. I am not saying that there's no way to do
[X] in POV for any given [X] - the idea was to eliminate the need for
obscure, unintuitive, kludgy ways of doing that [X] for sake of an easy,
flexible way of doing it. There is difference between having to write a
whole program in POV script and merely plugging several objects
together, don't you agree? What I meant that the design similar to what
I outlines would really facilitate both making scenes and writing
patches, and it seems that similar thoughts are not mine alone, if your
corrections to my "gripes" are an indication - POV does move in that
very direction.

Thank you all.