POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : ATT: POV team and everyone - POV4 design proposal : Re: ATT: POV team and everyone - POV4 design proposal Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:27:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ATT: POV team and everyone - POV4 design proposal
From: J  Grimbert
Date: 11 Jan 2002 03:59:25
Message: <3C3EA9D1.9F6AF294@atosorigin.com>
Eugene Arenhaus wrote:

> Hello.
>
> Here's my two cents.
>
> Comments, discussion, corrections, additions are welcome.
>
> "Waa, who needs [X]" and "Blasphemy!!!" are not welcome. :)
>
> So, without much further noise:
>
> -----
[SNIP of commercial where you promise all and its opposite:
 high speed for animation & lowest memory
 only one type & all kind
 unified(*) object & specific extensions... and so on]

Ad hominem first:
 I bet you just learned about C++ at school,
    get some lessons on parsing and
    some other on project management with experienced people,
    but have yet no real first hand experience by yourself.
    The critical part for such a design is not enforcing the rules,
    it is in writing the documentation so that maintenance remains
    in the rules, and everybody has the same referential.
    Moreover, you think too much by yourself before exposing your idea
    to the community. So you will fail to get adhesion to your ideas.

Back with your proposal:

The only way I can see to implememnt your design is to have
 the rendering engine as a C++ library which is missing one object
with two method: create() and trace(). The object is of course the
scene to render. and trace() is in fact inherited from the library,
so only the create method need to be written by the artist.
Your SDL will in fact be C++ itself.
To parse will be to compile & link,
to render will be to execute the program.
Doing otherwise transform 'making pov' into 'making a C++ parser'.

<Irony on>
You're just asking the artist to learn C++ instead of Pov SDL.
But as YOU already know C++, it's obviously no-cost for everybody else.
<Irony off>

You have nevertheless some good points in pointing out some problems
that do exists in pov 3. It is the only interest of your design.
But IMNSHO your solution stinks.

(*)'Unify' seems to be the current buzz word. With probably more experience,
you would know that a really unified object class really does nothing excepted
prototyping, because each specific object class must rewrite all or part
of the method and extend the data!
--
Non Sine Numine
http://grimbert.cjb.net/