POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Tableware : Re: Tableware Server Time
16 Aug 2024 18:21:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tableware
From: Kari Kivisalo
Date: 9 Jan 2002 17:51:18
Message: <3C3CC992.31A56537@engineer.com>
Artis wrote:

> > http://www.pp.htv.fi/kkivisal/metal_bm.jpg
>
> Can you explain how you did that, I want to try that in GIMP.

I had this idea that layering, rotating and scaling multiple
copies of a simple free hand pattern would generate something
useful. This the starting pattern which I kept as reference
because I liked the final result.
http://www.pp.htv.fi/kkivisal/metal_bm_0.gif

Start with white bg. Add layer and draw with black the initial
pattern. Make it sparse because it will get denser in the process.

Make 4 copies of the layer with different opacities and apply
random rotation to each.

Flatten layers. Erase to white the edges of the image with wide
soft edged brush. Needed because it will be used as a brush.

Make 2 scaled (60% and 40%) copies of the image and make 2 new
brushes from them. Multiple brushes with different scalings
and rotations would be better but I needed the map fast to
test another idea :)

Open new white image with a new layer and fill it with random
strokes of the big brush. Add layer with lower opacity and paint
on it with the small brush. Delete random parts of both layers
with some big sparse brush. I used one made from image of rusty
metal plate. Flatten layers.

Duplicate the image as a new image, scale it 50% and make it a
pattern. Add new multiply layer to the previous image and fill
it with the pattern. Rotate the layer 90 degrees and adjust
opacity at will. Flatten and sharpen image.

Use your favourite method to make the image tileable if needed.
My method was: offset 50%,50% and clone over the seams.

That's it. Just rotations, scalings, brushes, layers and opacities.
I may not remember the details right but they are not important.

Kari Kivisalo