POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : front of a dutch thesis (1) : Re: front of a dutch thesis (1) Server Time
16 Aug 2024 20:30:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: front of a dutch thesis (1)
From: Andrel C  Linnenbank
Date: 30 Dec 2001 08:39:27
Message: <3C2F1A17.D7DD1536@amc.uva.nl>
Lance Birch wrote:

> Very nice!  I really like it.
>
> My brother has just finished his thesis for his honours project at
> university (actually he just graduated with first class honours).
congratulations

> The graph->mountain splines look very nice.
Actually I did not use splines. The data is taken from one of the
figures inside the thesis. The paper is actually a bitmap.
To get a smooth transition to the lines upto the mountain these
lines are bitmaps too, with a transparent background.
these lines come together in a knot (actually a ball with a bitmap)
two reasons for that: I did not know how to get a smooth
transistion to the cable and second my positioning of the bitmaps
with respect to the mountain was not so critical  ;)
The cable itself is a set of standard tubes with an image_map
pigment. I used shades of red stripes and one blue to get the
impression of a twisted cable (which is difficult to see at the
posted resoluton but looks good in the actual book)
So I took some shortcuts, but at the resolution of the book it
all worked.

	Andrel