POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Merry Christmas to JRG [4x 21kbu] : Re: Merry Christmas to JRG [40kbu PNG] Server Time
16 Aug 2024 20:29:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Merry Christmas to JRG [40kbu PNG]
From: L'Harmonieux Forgeron
Date: 26 Dec 2001 10:35:40
Message: <3C29F097.46CCA499@free.fr>
Simon Adameit wrote:

> From what I understand this would only be usefull
> for planes and such things.

Probably. At least as long as you want a realistic picture. It might be fun for
animation around a nexus{box} : if the box is the outside of a house, you get
automatic
wall removal, will still keeping the lighting that comes only through the windows
(or from inside the house).
But I believe it's nearly the only pathological useful case!

> But couldn't you do this with interior texture and slope?

interior_texture is new in 3.5, but also do it.
it is even a simpler solution than the nexus. See 3.5 code in PS.

slope is fine only for planar object. emulating anything like a fish-eye camera
in a nexus{sphere } is not possible with slope.

> You could also do this with a function which gives you the normal of the
> surface.
> (Objects where I see a possibility to find normal:
> box,sphere,plane,cylinder,cone,prism,torus,bicubic_patch,parametric
> you could write macros that give you the function for this objects)
> Then use the select() or another function to decide if the point should be
> visible on
> the surface and then use the resulting function as a pattern.
> You could even make the whole think dependent on the angle between the
> camera
> and the normal vector.

Very complicated, restricted to only a few objects and...
You are missing the problem: when reflection occurs on other objects in the scene.

P.S:
#include "finish.inc"
camera { location <1,4,4>
direction -z
right -4/3*x
up y
look_at 0
}

plane { z,-2 texture { pigment { color rgb <0.4,0.5,0.8> } finish { Glossy reflection
0.5
} } }
plane { x,-2 texture { pigment { color rgb <0.8,0.5,0.5> } finish { Glossy reflection
0.5
} } }
plane { y,-2 texture { pigment { color rgb <0.4,0.8,0.3> } finish { Glossy reflection
0.5
} } }
light_source { 30, 1 }
light_source { 1, 1 }

sphere { 0,0.2 texture { pigment { color rgb <0.1,0.8,0.3> } finish { Shiny } } }
box { -1.2,1.2 texture { pigment { color rgbf 1 } } interior_texture { pigment { color
rgb
<0.8,0.4,0.6> } } }
--
Non Sine Numine