POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Realistic procedural landscape texture - how to do? (4 x JPG 800 x 600, 1 x PNG 198 x 500, together 161 k) : Re: Realistic procedural landscape texture - how to do? (4 x JPG 800 x 600, 1 x PNG 198 x 500, together 161 k) Server Time
16 Aug 2024 22:22:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Realistic procedural landscape texture - how to do? (4 x JPG 800 x 600, 1 x PNG 198 x 500, together 161 k)
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 17 Dec 2001 16:55:33
Message: <3C1E69CD.FFA879EA@gmx.de>
Yadgar wrote:

> Hi Tracers!
>
> My first serious attempt at an Afghan landscape (to those of you
> familiar with the country, it's the lower Arghastan plain about 30 miles
> south-east of Kandahar...)... after weeks of arduous manual pixeling
> work on a scanned b/w 1:300.000 topographic map of the area, I finally
> got together a preliminary 16bit heightfield of 198 by 500 pixels, each
> pixel representing a square with sides of 25.4 meters. Of course, I also
> wanted a realistic surface texture - and that's where many problems
> begin.

The most common method is to use satellite or aerial photography and
classify them according to a set of surface types.

Some info on this can be found for example in:

http://www.cs.utah.edu/vissim/papers/snowTerrain/

You can also try to conclude the information from the terrain geometry
like done in:

http://www.graphics.lcs.mit.edu/~boh/Projects/snowGenFinalWrite.html

for snow, but without further information this will be very inaccurate.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>