POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Povray 4? wish list : Re: Povray 4? wish list Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:23:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Povray 4? wish list
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 6 Dec 2001 08:03:32
Message: <3C0F6CD4.FD453F49@gmx.de>
Alessandro Coppo wrote:

> It came to me that displacement mapping is almost like isosurfaces. For
> example, a displacement mapped sphere is an isosurface described by
> a sphere + displacement function. So I would not call it impossible (or
> only for meshes) but "just" computationally heavy.

I just want to mention that this is not really true, 'displacement' with
isosurfaces works much different than with meshes.  For example in your
sphere sample you can get separate surface parts with an isosurface while
this is impossible with displacement mapping.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>