POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : height fields.... : height fields.... Server Time
5 Sep 2024 02:15:59 EDT (-0400)
  height fields....
From: Paul D  Jones
Date: 5 Dec 2001 08:39:16
Message: <3C0E242B.18B40330@psu.edu>
Howdy povers!

I seem to be having a wee bit o' difficulty in making a nice
heightfield. I have read the docs and tried a bunch of things
(hf_gray_16, tga and png formats etc...) but no matter what I try, I
cannot make a smooth height field.

I use an orthographic scene file with an agate pattern to generate the
required hf image (1024 x 768 aa 0.3), then in another scene use the
smooth command and I get a stepped effect.

Does any on have any suggestions as to what would make a good hf? Would
an isosurface (shudder.....) be better?

-thanks

paul (a three year pov user, and still a new user!! argh!!  :-)