POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Planet : Re: Planet Server Time
17 Aug 2024 00:13:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Planet
From: Yadgar
Date: 30 Nov 2001 18:39:36
Message: <3C087C7C.7DE4CB8D@ndh.net>
Hi Tracers!

David Fontaine schrieb:

> Bryan Valencia wrote:
> >
> > Supposedly a gas giant with it's moons.
>
> I like the texture on the moon but the planet looks a bit strange; don't
> gas giants typically have swirly horizontal bands and more elliptical
> spots?  Though I'm not quite sure how to do that procedurally, maybe
> with black hole warps.  If it's just to look nice though it certainly
> still looks nice.  :)

It must be a very massive "superjovian" which has, due to gravity
compression,
its own internal heat source, producing surface patterns by convection
which
look similar to the granulation on the Sun's surface! Also, such a massive
gas giant
should glow faintly from its own inner heat, and this glow would be visible
on the night
side - what about some reddish ambient light?

Yes, and there are far too many large moons too close to each other as well
as to the planet,
and the ring is way too simply structured! As an example for a more
realistic planetary ring,
I attached one of my preliminary spaceship renderings...

See you in Khyberspace -
http://www.geocities.com/electricafghan/index-e.html
Afghanistan Chronicle: http://www.ndh.net/home/bleimann/

Yadgar