POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : News group hints? : Re: News group hints? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 04:13:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: News group hints?
From: Ken
Date: 19 Nov 2001 20:50:10
Message: <3BF9B722.CB749E3E@pacbell.net>
Stephen wrote:

> I remember seeing a list of news groups on the news.povray.org that sujested
> what was apropriat to post in each group. A quick look in
> povray.announce.frequently-asked-questions did not help. Can someone point
> me in the right direction? Thanks in advance.

Ask and ye shall receive...

Using The Groups

*Scene-files Groups

  We have a binaries scene files group and a text scene files group.
These are for sharing your source with other people if you choose to
do so. Attachments should go into the binaries groups, and a text
copy and paste into the message body should go into the text scene
files group.
[please read the announcement on posting guidelines for these groups]

*Programming, New users, Advanced user Groups

  The programming group is for talking about the programming issues involved
with the program and is not for general scene language discussions. These
should be taken to the new users group when you are new and once your skills
advance they can be moved to the advanced users group. Don't be afraid to
ask for help on something you do not understand. Many of the people that
frequent these groups are experienced users of the program and are more than
happy to share their knowledge with others. In many cases someone will provide
you with an answer in less than one day's time.

*The General Group

  The general group is a catch-all group where you may announce your own web
site for example or maybe post a URL to a resource that you think others might
be interested in. If you cannot think of an appropriate group to ask a question
in then the general group is a good place to start. The general group is also
where all bug reports should be discussed before posting in the moderated bug
reports group.
[Please read the bug reports message in the announcement group for details.]

*Animation Groups

 We have animation groups both text for discussion on the techniques
of creating animations and the binaries group for posting examples of
your animation work for critique and suggestions by others.

*Unofficial Patches Group

 There is an unofficial patches group where discussions on using other
peoples modified versions of POV-Ray are held. Unofficial patches are
popular with some users of POV-Ray and you will find that many of the
patches may be added at some later time to the official version of the
program. You might want to keep an eye on this group just to get a
preview of what MAY come later in the official versions.

[Note: There is never a guarantee by the POV-Team that any patch will make
       it into the official version so please do not assume that it will!]

*Off-Topic Discussions

  Then there is the off topic group. There you may find discussions on just
about anything you can imagine. We have become a very friendly community
and are likely to drift in our conversations from time to time. When that
happens we move on over to the off topic group and let it go where it may.
Messages posted in that group expire in 2 week's time so they don't take
up too much space on this server.

*Other Groups

  Besides the groups detailed above there are other groups that may be of
interest to you. You will find below a complete list of the groups on this
server and what they are to be use for.

List Of Groups On This Server
=============================

  This is a list of the groups on this news server and what they are
to be used for. When posting any message in these news groups try to
pick a group that is appropriate for the message content that you are
posting. Please read the announcements group for details on posting
binary files and the proper method of posting official bug reports to
the bug reports group. Also be sure to read the acceptable use policy
for this server in the statement at the end of the message.

POV-Ray Specific Groups
=======================

povray.announce.frequently-asked-questions -- The FAQ group.

       New users and new visitors: Go here first!
[Note: posting in the announcement group is not permitted.]

povray.general              -- General discussions about POV-Ray
povray.windows              -- Discussion of the Windows versions of POV-Ray
povray.macintosh            -- Discussion of the Apple Macintosh versions of POV-Ray
povray.unix                 -- Discussion of the Unix versions of POV-Ray
povray.msdos                -- Discussion of the MS-DOS version of POV-Ray
povray.bugreports           -- Bug reporting area - Moderated (*See bug reports
notice)
povray.newusers             -- New user discussion area
povray.advanced-users       -- Advanced user discussion area
povray.off-topic            -- Discussion of off-topics not related to POV-Ray
povray.animations           -- Discussion of animation projects and techniques.
povray.programming          -- Programming with POV (incl. GUI Extensions)
povray.unofficial.patches   -- Discussion about unofficial patches and versions of POV
povray.text.tutorials       -- POV-Ray tutorials in text form
povray.text.scene-files     -- Scene files (as long as they're human-readable)
povray.binaries.images      -- Posting of rendered images here is OK
povray.binaries.scene-files -- POV-Ray scene files (plain text or zipped attachments)
povray.binaries.utilities   -- POV-Ray utilities and announcements of new programs
povray.binaries.tutorials   -- POV-Ray tutorials in binary form
povray.binaries.animations  -- Animations in binary form
povray.binaries.programming -- For exchanging of source code in binary form

Third-party groups (software that works with POV-Ray)

moray.dos                   -- Discussions about the DOS version of Moray
moray.win                   -- Discussions about the Windows version of Moray
moray.binaries              -- Moray binary files .mdl, .mtx, and others
povray.3rdparty.povlab      -- A forum for POVLAB users

Groups for the Internet Raytracing Competition (IRTC)

irtc.general                -- General IRTC discussion
irtc.stills                 -- Discussion about the IRTC stills competition
irtc.animations             -- Discussion about the IRTC animation competition

--
Ken Tyler - POV-Ray Technical Assistance Group