POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Elastolab Physics Test 1 : Re: Elastolab Physics Test 1 Server Time
20 Jul 2024 01:27:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Elastolab Physics Test 1
From: David Buck
Date: 14 Nov 2001 14:12:17
Message: <3BF2C261.2CD1CDAE@simberon.com>

> On Wed, 14 Nov 2001 13:16:34 -0000, "Andrew Cocker"
> <big### [at] mariner9fsnetcouk> wrote:
> > Any comments welcome.
>
> nice, how long did you develop this (without rendering)
> and what is the strange tick of box at the end of anim?

I can explain the tick of the box.  The box is modeled with particles connected
by rods.  There's a known problem when two particles connected by a rod are in
resting contact with a barrier.  The simulation treats them as two independent
particles and doesn't realize that moving one causes the other to move.  The way
to solve this is to re-formulate the problem and solve a system of linear
equations inside a loop.  This is a lot of work and I'm not certain that it would
run in real-time.  Without that approach, there's a little bit of jitter when two
particles connected by a rod are sitting on a barrier.  I may address that later,
but I felt that it wasn't a big problem for now.

David Buck
Simberon Inc.