POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : max_trace_level problem : Re: max_trace_level problem Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:19:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: max_trace_level problem
From: Ken
Date: 11 Nov 2001 19:34:00
Message: <3BEF1927.DABD73B5@pacbell.net>
Redbeard wrote:

> By the way, on the topic of stupid questions and why they're asked, I'd like to
> explain why I sometimes ask them.  In the case of max_trace_level, I've used it
> many times before 3.5.  I've read the manual about before.  But it was a long
> time ago, and I didn't figure max_trace_level (which really has only one
> purpose) would have changed.  I didn't realize too high a value could cause a
> crash.  Until I did it the other day.  And now I see it's in the manual.

The following quote comes straight from the POV-Ray v2.2 docs so it is
obvious that this limitation has been known for many years now -

"Note: Raising max_trace_level will use more memory and time and it could
cause the program to crash with a stack overflow error. Values for
max_trace_level are not restricted, so it can be set to any number as long
as you have the time and memory."

--
Ken Tyler