POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : MPEG? : Re: MPEG? Server Time
1 Jun 2024 20:45:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: MPEG?
From: Jon A  Cruz
Date: 10 Nov 2001 12:10:39
Message: <3BED5F3A.4B0D3F97@geocities.com>
Josh English wrote:

> "W3odzimierz ABX Skiba" wrote:
> >
> > Please use html reader. I don't know reason why they changed extension. Perhaps
> > it is dynamically generated html.
>
> I was using an html reader. Netscape. I used MSIE 4.5 and it got the
> page just fine. I don't know what kind of standard htp is.

Well, there's an htp HTML preproccesor, which could be generating that.
http://www.eda.bg/docs/packages/htp/

The problem is because the server is misconfigured and saying the page is
"application/octet-stream", which means 'raw binary data that should be saved
somewhere'.

MSIE violates all the standards and instead looks inside the contents and says
"hmmm. I think this looks like it's really HTML, I think I'll change and ignore what
the server just told me". That's probably due in part to Microsoft tools and servers
being so broken, and the broken Spyglass Mosaic that was the original MSIE...

So, instead of fixing the broken server, the person admining it or changing it was
probably using MSIE instead of some standards-compliant browser, and had his error
hidden from him so that he didn't know it was there and needed to be fixed.

Ahh. Their main site is all Flash. Another sign of sloppy web design and admin.
Sigh.

Gee, their .asp pages seem to be served from that IIS fine. Hmmmm... I wonder why
the proprietary Microsoft content works easily on the Microsoft server, but that
other content doesn't. Hmmmmmm....

--
Jon A. Cruz
http://www.geocities.com/joncruz/action.html