POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : another strange photon behavior : Re: another strange photon behavior Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:25:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: another strange photon behavior
From: Dean
Date: 9 Nov 2001 14:20:51
Message: <3BEC2B3D.8F3CBBD8@twoalpha.net>
Below is an updated script that seems to work with your original settings.  I
added photons to the reflective sphere and also added caustics to the glass.
This made a nice picture as far as I can see.

Dean

#version 3.5;
#include "functions.inc"

#declare overallscale=10;
#declare cm=0.01*overallscale;
#declare m=1*overallscale;

global_settings
{
        assumed_gamma 2
        max_trace_level 50
        photons
        {
                count 10000 //jitter .3
        }
}

camera
{
        location <0,30,-50>*cm
        look_at <-3.5,6,0>*cm
        angle 30
}

light_source
{
        vnormalize(<2,2,-1>)*m*1 // multiply with .6, and the color will go
away
        color rgb <1,1,.95>*1
        spotlight point_at <0,10,0>*cm radius 0 falloff 15 tightness 20
}

#declare Floor=
texture
{
        pigment
        {
                color rgb 1
        }
        finish
        {
                ambient 0
                reflection .2 // remove this -> black "holes" in caustics
will go away
        }
}

#declare Sky=
texture
{
        pigment
        {
                color rgb 1
        }
        finish{ambient 1}
}

sphere
{
        0,1*m
        translate y*(1*m)
        texture
        {
                gradient y scale 2*m
                texture_map
                {
                        [0.0 Floor]
                        [0.1 Floor]
                        [0.3 Sky]
                        [1.0 Sky]
                }

        }
        translate -y*0.01*cm
        inverse
        //clipped_by{plane{y,.02*m }}
photons{target refraction on reflection on collect off}}  //added by Dean to
see if how it changes things

lathe
{
        //linear_spline
        cubic_spline
        6+2+2+1,

        < -0.5,  0.1>*cm,

        <  0.0,  0.1>*cm,
        <  4.0,  0.0>*cm,

        <  4.75, 0.5>*cm,

        <  4.0,  3.0>*cm,
        <  5.0,  10.0>*cm,
        <  5.0,  11.5>*cm,
        <  4.5,  10.0>*cm,

        <  3.2,  1.5>*cm,

        <  0.0,  1.5>*cm

        < -0.5,  1.5>*cm

        // avoid coicidence probs
        translate y*.1*cm

        pigment
        {
                color rgb <.99,1,.99>
                filter .9
        }
        interior
        {
                ior 1.5
                  caustics .5//added by Dean to see if how it changes things
        }