POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Our World (175 Kb) : Re: Our World (175 Kb) Server Time
17 Aug 2024 10:20:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Our World (175 Kb)
From: Yadgar
Date: 7 Nov 2001 12:39:34
Message: <3BE94FDF.2897F70D@ndh.net>
JMZ schrieb:
Yes, I know about Bactria... the very notion that until about 60 AD a flourishing
Greco-Iranian civilization existed so far away from the motherland is thrilling...
perhaps you also heard about the ruins of Ai Khanum (around 140 BC) - wouldn't
it be tempting to render a reconstruction?
Yes, I'm myself an "afghoholic" since almost 20 years, desperately yearning
for a chance to simply pack my bike and set out for the Hindu Kush... but,
for reasons we all know, up to now I have to content myself with a computer-generated
virtual Afghanistan. With PoV-Ray, which I discovered in 1995, and with
the gradual advance of processors during the last years, this idea of "Khyberspace"
now slowly begins to turn reality, as I mentioned before, I'm currently
working on a 3D representation of an area in Kandahar province - when I'll
have completed the first small slice of about 200 x 500 pixels containing
a village, temporary rivers and some steep hills, I will post it here...
watch out for PoVghanistan!
like to render some more sophisticated things, like the old city of Herat,
the famous lonely minaret of Jam, the "rainbow lakes" of Band-e Amir or
even the - now destroyed - giant rock buddhas of Bamiyan...
Afghanistan - has it ever been translated to German or at least English
(my French is very poor) - is it a photo book like "Mémories d'Afghanistan"
of Roland and Sabrine Michaud?
href="http://www.geocities.com/electricafghan/index-e.html">http://www.geocities.com/electricafghan/index-e.html</a></font>
href="http://www.ndh.net/home/bleimann/">http://www.ndh.net/home/bleimann/</a><a
href="http://www.ndh.net/home/bleimann/"></a>