POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Re: 3d modeler : Re: 3d modeler Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:24:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3d modeler
From: Jon A  Cruz
Date: 5 Nov 2001 11:31:27
Message: <3BE6BEB1.D14F3AEF@geocities.com>
Daniel Matthews wrote:

> Why did you call Andreas Zehender an Evil Troll?!!
> He is the primary developer behind KPovModeler and I think the guys are
> doing a brilliant job of it too.
> :-\
>
> Jon A. Cruz wrote:
> [snip}
> >..I don't like using things that require the work of Evil Trolls.

Sorry, I didn't mean that to be taken as anything negative about Andreas.

I was instead complaining about the Qt library from Troll Tech (that KDE
is based on). Their licensing is better than it was, but it's still bad.

Among other things, you can't use the free version of the library to build
a commercial or shareware app, unlike GTK++ and its LGPL. In fact, Troll
Tech considers shareware to be non-viable and prohibits Qt's use for
shareware.

Also, if at _any_ point in time your project is touched by any of the
"free" or non-commercial versions, then you can _never_ later decide to
release it commercially and buy a commercial Qt license at that time.

--
Jon A. Cruz
http://www.geocities.com/joncruz/action.html