POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Radiosity and glass: utopia? : Re: Radiosity and glass: utopia? Server Time
17 Aug 2024 04:08:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity and glass: utopia?
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 3 Nov 2001 05:42:36
Message: <3BE3CA1B.AE7CB7B0@gmx.de>
JRG wrote:

> This was just meant to be a test render. Then time passed and I began to
> realize that radiosity (even with not-so-extreme settings) doesn't get on
> with glass. How is it possible? Is there something in the code that says
> "hey, a transparent object! Make a 100000-steps-for()-loop for every pixel
> to make it slower. Only the patient ones will deserve it!"? Is there a way
> to speed up radiosity indoor scenes (possibly with glass)?
> I'm not a patient one, so I killed the render after 41 hours of agony.

Hmm, are those wood planks isosurfaces?

Glass with radiosity can be quite slow, but 1d17h is not very extreme for
such a scene.  I had a similar situation in my picture for the 10best
cover image contest and it came near a halt (~30min per line) on my old K6
when reaching the glass objects.  There were photons and a lot of
isosurfaces too of course.

Something that would really help in such a situation would be a
no_radiosity modifier for objects.  You could create a second bowl for
radiosity with no_image, no_shadow and no_reflection and a simple material
and use no_radiosity for the real bowl.

The fruits look great, apart from the leftmost apple floating in the air
of course.  Is there subsurface scattering on the orange?

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>