POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Radiosity and glass: utopia? : Re: Radiosity and glass: utopia? Server Time
17 Aug 2024 04:06:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity and glass: utopia?
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 3 Nov 2001 04:02:07
Message: <3BE3B29D.72C0E761@ignorancia.org>

> This was just meant to be a test render. Then time passed and I began to
> realize that radiosity (even with not-so-extreme settings) doesn't get on
> with glass. How is it possible? Is there something in the code that says
> "hey, a transparent object! Make a 100000-steps-for()-loop for every pixel
> to make it slower. Only the patient ones will deserve it!"? Is there a way
> to speed up radiosity indoor scenes (possibly with glass)?

 Remember: radiosity+glass+area_light+antialias>=infinite :)

  Gilles said that a workaround is lowering ior, but that could affect
realism of the glass if it is too close. In this case, as it seems not
very transparent, you could make it opaque (it will look cool anyhow!).

> I'm not a patient one, so I killed the render after 41 hours of agony.

  A pain you killed it: but if it was just finishing the glass! The slow
part was almost finished! Oh...

--
Jaime Vives Piqueres

La Persistencia de la Ignorancia