POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Took my slide caliper and started modeling... (800 x 600, 89 KB) : Re: Took my slide caliper and started modeling... (800 x 600, 89 KB) Server Time
17 Aug 2024 04:13:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Took my slide caliper and started modeling... (800 x 600, 89 KB)
From: Xplo Eristotle
Date: 1 Nov 2001 13:19:10
Message: <3BE19267.DA61AB75@unforgettable.com>
Yadgar wrote:

> Hi tracers!
>
> Here is my first attempt to exactly model everyday things...
> Some time ago, I bought me a slide caliper solely for poving (...You
> know you've been raytracing too much...), and when I disassembled a
> defunct mouse, I was instantly inspired by these delicate small wheels
> rotating between photoelectric elements when the mouse is pushed. So for
> the first time, I made use of my new modelling equipment.
>
> Any comments on the plastic textures (finish: specular 0.7, roughness
> 0.05, brilliance 0.5, ambient 0.1, diffuse 0.9) ?

Looks fine, but you should probably avoid using ambient for non-glowing
objects, especially if you're intending to try radiosity later. If you
must have some kind of fill lighting, use a fill light, or global
ambient (simpler to adjust), or even use radiosity in the first place
(even extremely crude rad settings will generally produce results that
are at least as good as standard ambience, and have little effect on
render time).

-Xplo