POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : atmospheric media : Re: atmospheric media Server Time
5 Sep 2024 04:16:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: atmospheric media
From: Ken
Date: 31 Oct 2001 20:06:32
Message: <3BE0A020.14A731AD@pacbell.net>
MR wrote:

> hello,
>
> i have a very basic question.  i'm wanting to do some light
> rays streaming in a window.  ken and marc and some
> other good people have already given me some good tips.
>
> although i believe that i eventually want to confine the media
> inside an object, right now i'm looking at atmospheric media
> with a spotlight.
>
> my scene looked ok with regular lighting.  when i put the
> media in, i got a whiteout scene, and this was true whether
> the light had the media turned on or off.
>
> my question:  what's going on?  i thought that the media would
> not be seen if the light had media attenuation off.

It is hard to trouble shoot without some code to look at, seriously.

> i actually have another question:  is media different in 3.5?
> is what i'm learning with 3.1 media a waste of time?  i down-
> loaded the 3.5 and i'm dangerously close to loading it.  can
> i run two versions at once?

The implementation of media in v3.5 is essentially the same as in v3.1
but it has a few extra options that produce smoother media and offers
a little better control. However, you should be able to take what you
learn in v3.1 and apply it to v3.5 without suffering too much permanent
brain damage.

Yes you can run both version if you install them in different locations
on your hard drive. If you install v3.5 over v3.1 then you lose :~)

--
Ken Tyler