POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Isosurfaces *much* slower in beta 7? : Re: Isosurfaces *much* slower in beta 7? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:23:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Isosurfaces *much* slower in beta 7?
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 31 Oct 2001 12:16:52
Message: <3BE03202.1171E1E3@gmx.de>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:

> Yes, but ignore the beta 7 implementation details as they are not complete
> yet.  The main idea was to get some feedback on the changes, but of course I
> didn't take into account the problem that was left in there.

Ok, that's clear.

> What is happening is that the "adaptive max_gradient technique" as Mr.
> Suzuki calls it, is now always used partially.  Unfortunately this causes
> the max_gradient to grow and thus cause the slowdown people report with
> evaluate.

I think that's what you can influence with the second and third parameter
of 'evaluate', i was just starting to explore it.

> > Then one thing wonders me: what's the difference between the first
> > parameter of 'evaluate' and the max_gradient value if both are specified?
>
> I have a good idea how the code works, but not what the individual values of
> evaluate will exactly do to what surface, if that is what you are asking.

Yes, as i understand it, it's a starting value for the estimation
process.  So the following view should be correct:

- with only max_gradient, Povray 'blindly' renders the isosurface.

- with max_gradient specified and using 'evaluate' the max_gradient stays
fixed for the render, but Povray suggests a new value (like Warp described
in the other thread)

- without max_gradient, Povray uses an 'adaptive max_gradient technique'
or 'estimation technique' and uses the first parameter from 'evaluate' as
a starting value.

I think this is also what is essentially written in the isosurface SDL

i will try to work out something for the tutorial (referring to your other
post)

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>