POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : making an archway : Re: making an archway Server Time
17 Aug 2024 08:16:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: making an archway
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 18 Oct 2001 04:57:17
Message: <3BCE9977.D80E173C@ignorancia.org>

> [...] So i was wondering, is there a way to
> keep the brick as a mesh, and use the cylinder-cube union object in some way
> to dictate where not to place a brick?

  Hmmm... seems I've a fixation with trace(), but I'm envisioning a nice
use for it here. You can have some "reference" objects behind the "wall"
plane, and then use a #while loop to place the bricks, tracing first a
ray perpendicular to the wall plane, to see if it intersect with the
"reference" objects. Then you end having a "individual-bricks"  wall,
with holes "replicating" the reference objects behind. It would leave
some work to do with the edges, but then you can place your
windows/door/whatever into the holes, with enough "frame" width. Sounds
reasonable... must try it later.

--
Jaime Vives Piqueres

La Persistencia de la Ignorancia