POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : [bug]: radiosity sampling, with fix method. : Re: [bug]: radiosity sampling, with fix method. Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:19:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: [bug]: radiosity sampling, with fix method.
From: Michael Andrews
Date: 17 Oct 2001 13:18:52
Message: <3BCDBE6E.181E3922@reading.ac.uk>
Hi Kari,

Kari Kivisalo wrote:

> Michael Andrews wrote:
> >
> > because the radiosity sample counter is reset to the start
> > every time, sampling artifacts are produced.
>
> Excellent! Could you render cornell.pov with the old and modified
> MP so that the effect of the fix on overall energy distribution can
> be compared.

I'm posting the same file run on original MegaPov, my modified MegaPov
and v3.5b6. I'll put them as a reply to my previous post on p.b-t.b.

There seems to be a major fix on the spotlight code between MegaPov and
3.5; there is a very marked difference at the top of the walls between
the two.

> >       fade_distance sqrt(sX*sY)/N
>                       ^^^^
> You fixed this too :)

Well this looked like a way to do non-square lights. I'll probably
modify the scene to allow different numbers of light patches in each
direction. This would probably need

	fade_distance sqrt((sX*sY)/(nX*nY))

I guess.

> Kari Kivisalo