POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Crash - gaussianblob.pov : Re: Crash - gaussianblob.pov Server Time
31 Jul 2024 00:29:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Crash - gaussianblob.pov
From: Thorsten
Date: 15 Oct 2001 08:59:10
Message: <3BCADCDF.E7DFF51C@ewetel.net>
Hello :-))

Latest news:

gaussianblob.pov works for me with this change
#declare CompNum=6946;
I've also tried some other values for CompNum smaller than 6946 with no problems :-))

But it keeps crashing for
#declare CompNum=6947;
or higher values for CompNum :-((

By adding some #debugs (code below) I found out these things:

The crash always happens for N=6946.
It seems to be no rand() thing, because I've used various seed()s without any
influence
on the results.
The problem seems to be caused by the line
#declare Tracey=trace(Ally,Test+100*y,-y,Norm);
because these were the last lines of debug information:
N=6946
Test ok.

This is the part of gaussianblob.pov with some additional #debugs. To keep this
message
short, I've removed the original comments...

#while(N<CompNum)
  #debug concat("N=",str(N,4,0),"\n")
  #declare Test=<Gauss(S),0,Gauss(S)>;
  #debug "Test ok.\n"
  #declare Tracey=trace(Ally,Test+100*y,-y,Norm);
  #debug "Tracey ok.\n"
  #if (Norm.x = 0 & Norm.y = 0 & Norm.z = 0)
    #declare Posy[N]=Test;
  #else
    #declare Posy[N]=Tracey+Norm*CompRadius;
  #end
  #debug "if ok.\n"
  #declare Ally=
  union {object {Ally}