POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Can POV make use of 48 bpp color images as detailed height fields? : Re: Can POV make use of 48 bpp color images as detailed height fields? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 00:33:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Can POV make use of 48 bpp color images as detailed height fields?
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 13 Oct 2001 08:33:42
Message: <3BC834A5.CF2BA150@gmx.de>
Warp wrote:

>   Using red+green as a 16-bit value for the height is a good idea, but not
> very practical. No image editing programs support that, so you just can't
> create them. AFAIK there are only two widespread programs which support
> this: POV-Ray and fracting. This isn't enough because neither is an image
> editing program.
>   Nowadays this red+green idea is also obsolete because we can use a 16-bit
> b/w PNG to achieve the same thing, and this is a lot more supported (besides
> being a lot more logical).

I would not say it's obsolete, apart from the reason that it's quite
simple to program TGA output, it's also possible to edit those formats
with a paint program which does not apply for 16 bit png.  You can resize
it (without interpolation of course) cut out a subsection of the image,
mirror it, etc.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>