POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Equivalent area light and ambient source : Re: Equivalent area light and ambient source Server Time
17 Aug 2024 10:19:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Equivalent area light and ambient source
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 13 Oct 2001 06:34:12
Message: <3BC818AC.633BECD5@ignorancia.org>

> To verify that my assumptions about povray light sources
> are correct I tried to make ambient source with the same
> lighting properties as a diffuse area light.

  Very interesting... but the area version looks better, soft and
without artifacts.

> I think I got it but there is this mysterious constant 2*pi
> which is required. I think the 2 comes from the fading equation
> attenuation=2/( 1+(d/fade_distance)^fade_power ). The intensity
> at the surface of the light is two times higher than at the fade
> distance. But where does the pi come from? :)

 Because light propagation is spherical? I've been reading a lot about
lighting lately, because I'm trying to relate common bulb properties to
pov light sources, and found many equations involving pi.

--
Jaime Vives Piqueres

La Persistencia de la Ignorancia
http://www.ignorancia.org/