POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Are POV-Ray for Windows 3.5 Beta "Help-Files" online somewhere? : Re: Are POV-Ray for Windows 3.5 Beta "Help-Files" online somewhere? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:19:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Are POV-Ray for Windows 3.5 Beta "Help-Files" online somewhere?
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 12 Oct 2001 13:18:35
Message: <3BC725EB.FEA1AB7B@gmx.de>
Glen Berry wrote:

> Chris had no other choice? Microsoft made it that way?
>
> That's nonesense!
>
> [...]
>
> Have you looked at an install disc for IE4? There are over 64 Megs of
> *compressed* files on the disc!

I understand that, in fact i was probably the most strict advocate of this
opinion during pre-beta, but i also understand why HTML help is chosen for
the standard WinPov docs.  All the other suggestions you made do not have
the possibility of context sensitive help and most of them do not provide
an index.

> You can't honestly say that Chris has no choice in this matter. He has
> several choices. It's the end users of POV-Ray for Windows version
> 3.5, that will have no choice. They will have no choice, but to find a
> way to live with Chris' choice of Microsoft's html-help.

That's not true, there will most surely be other formats once the final
version is released.  I understand that the situation is not nice now
during beta since you can't correctly view the docs without a newer IE.
I'm not able to install IE4+ on my old machine at all since my Windows
partition currently is too small so i know what this means.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>