POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : isosurface - contained_by : Re: isosurface - contained_by Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:12:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: isosurface - contained_by
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 12 Oct 2001 11:04:08
Message: <3BC70666.2C7815C8@gmx.de>
Hugo wrote:

> Hello friends,
>
> I'm not sure wether this has already been adressed but I haven't read it.
> The following container won't work in isosurfaces:
> contained_by { box { <-1,1,-1>,<1,-1,1> }
>
> But this one works:
> contained_by { box { <-1,-1,-1>,<1,1,1> }
>
> I found that MegaPOV do the same, but I don't like it... Boxes can normally
> be described in any order I want; upside down or inside out.. This
> "restriction" seems illogical and is not found in "clipped_by" so just for
> making things more transparant for the users, this could be changed.. in my
> humble opinion.

The reason is that the box in the 'contained_by' statement is not the same
as the povray box shape.  It's just a way to describe the borders of the
isosurface with similar, but not necessarily identical syntax.

NTL, it should be easily possible to fix this particular problem with a
minor change.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>