POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Problem with smooth heightfield : Re: Problem with smooth heightfield Server Time
17 Aug 2024 12:11:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Problem with smooth heightfield
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 10 Oct 2001 10:29:21
Message: <3BC45B3A.71BEFC86@gmx.de>
Hugo wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The attached picture show heightfields created from an isosurface. The
> bottom ones are "smooth" but don't exactly look like I would expect, or like
> I remember triangles do when they are smoothed correctly.. I tried different
> lights.. I tried TGA, PNG and GIF.. I tried POV 3.5, MegaPOV 0.7 and POV
> 3.1g and two computers.. It's all the same..What do you think?

That looks much like the heightfield having only 8 bit resolution.  Using
'hf_gray_16 on' in global_settings should help if you generate the
heightfield with Povray.  But be careful when using png output in Povray
3.5 with this since it does not work correctly right now.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>