POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Image quality improvements? : Re: Image quality improvements? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:21:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Image quality improvements?
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 10 Oct 2001 08:23:27
Message: <3BC43D6B.80002@videotron.ca>
Angus Mitchell wrote:

> I haven't been playing with the 3.5 beta because I'm really not much
> of a beta tester at heart, and I don't usually like to put my computer
> through the uninstall/reinstall loop of time-limited software.

It is not "time-limited", it is "date-limited".  You can't just
reinstall it to get another 30 days of use.  Besides, new beta versions
with new deadlines have always popped up in time.

> I have a question, though, regarding the images from 3.5 I've seen
> posted in p.b.i. -- they seem to be of higher quality than what I see
> produced in 3.1.  The radiosity looks better, and the render just seem
> to have a crisper, more realistic vibe.
>

> So, has the POV engine - indpendant of the new featues such as
> photons, etc - been that drastically enhanced in the render quality
> department?  Or is this simply the by-product of top end users who are
> most likely to beta test knowing how to tweak the scenes for optimum
> prettiness?

Radiosity is a lot better, and forces you to use more realistic values
for your finishes therefore giving your scenes an overall more realistic
look.  But, apart from that, you are right, it's mostly tweaking of
"old" features and a pinch of new features added for taste.

/*   videotron.ca  */}camera{location<6,1.25,-6>look_at a orthographic}