POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Isosurfaces in v3.5 and how to convert them to heightfields? : Re: Isosurfaces in v3.5 and how to convert them to heightfields? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 14:26:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Isosurfaces in v3.5 and how to convert them to heightfields?
From: Xplo Eristotle
Date: 9 Oct 2001 13:07:55
Message: <3BC32F12.9BAA173F@unforgettable.com>
Hugo wrote:

> Hello folks,
>
> I'm no expert in isosurfaces, but I suspect POV 3.5 to be less powerful than
> MegaPOV because it doesn't have the "method" keyword.. I liked method 1 and
> now I am forced to use what appears to be method 2.. So I must specify a
> max_gradient and in most cases I a gradient of over 100 for my shapes to
> render properly.. This is much slower than method 1..

To be honest, I haven't seen a significant difference in render times
between method 1 and method 2. ISTR that method 1 allowed the user to
optionally specify a max_gradient, and that it was often necessary to do
so for complicated isosurfaces to render without artifacts anyway, so
I'd say you've lost nothing. I admit to not testing this, however...

-Xplo