POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Known bugs list - work in progress : Re: Known bugs list - work in progress Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:21:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Known bugs list - work in progress
From: Michael Andrews
Date: 28 Sep 2001 12:40:51
Message: <3BB4A9D2.109D2563@reading.ac.uk>
Christoph Hormann wrote:

> Nathan Kopp wrote:
> >
> > > 18565  Radiosity with recursion > 1
> > > (With recursion_limit > 1 clear axis aligned bands appear on the
> > surfaces.)
> > > http://news.povray.org/povray.beta-test/18565/
> >
> > This one looks difficult to fix.  :-(

I'd go along with that :-/

I compiled the MegaPoVRay 0.7 unix source using MinGW under WinNT4 sp6.

There was an obvious difference in the rendered output from the
WinMegaPoVRay 0.7 (which seems to give the same output as  WinPoVRay
3.5) using the test code I posted - the bright bands are much broader.
This is the same as when you use a single box as the container in my
test scene with WinPoVRay (Mega or 3.5).

So, may there be a compiler quirk? Both of the Win versions are MSVC
compiled (from the Help/About).

Could someone try running the script on a Mac with v3.5 and see whether
the bright bands are wide or narrow?

> Is it clear, what the reason for this is?

Not to me ... the two ideas I had about sampling (rotate the local basis
about the surface normal and start the sampling sequence where the last
one left off) seem to be dead ends - neither had any appreciable effect
on the output.

There seems to be a lot of alterations of the radiosity settings at
various stages, changing which also seemed to make no difference in
visual quality.

I don't really understand the use of the radiosity gradients or the
octree enough to tinker with those bits of the code.

> Christoph
>
> --
> Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>
> IsoWood include, radiosity tutorial, TransSkin and other
> things on: http://www.schunter.etc.tu-bs.de/~chris/

Well, I can only hope someone comes up with some good ideas ...

Bye for now,
	Mike Andrews.